The Online Learning Consortium (formerly Sloan) is doing a lot of professional development for online learning professionals. Or would be professionals.
For an example, this one is about best practices for using social media in online learning. Only $600. (hint, professional development training is where the big educational profit margins are). It says, if you complete the “course” , or as we would say, the DLE, you get: Recognition of Mastery of Social Media for Online Education.
Which is an example of the dis-integration of learning…and accreditation…into much smaller chunks of “recognitions and certificates of completion” etc etc.
SOCIAL MEDIA MASTERY SERIES
The Social Media for Online Education Mastery Series focuses on the use of social media for teaching and learning in online, blended and web-enhanced courses.
Through relevant research and discussions with peers, you will explore applicable learning theories, online identity, participatory culture, and legal issues for engaging, instructing, and supporting online learners through social media.
By participating in social media learning experiences, you will develop an online teaching persona, activities for the online classroom, and a course or program integration plan. You will actively engage and collaborate through social media to strengthen teaching presence and social media expertise.
- Develop online persona and social media presence
- Evaluate, analyze, and synthesize relevant research and legal issues related to social media in education in order to develop effective methods for the online classroom
- Explore and evaluate effectiveness of social media tools and learning activities for use in online education
- Develop learning activities and assessment strategies for the online classroom incorporating social media
- Identify and explain relevant engagement strategies as they relate to course and program delivery
- Produce artifacts evidencing ability to support students in social media
SUCCESSFUL COMPLETION OF THE SERIES RESULTS IN RECOGNITION OF MASTERY OF SOCIAL MEDIA FOR ONLINE EDUCATION.